Like their smaller brethren these speakers produce a scale, presence and involvement out of all proportion to their size – and price. In short, they are truly astonishing and re-write listeners' expectations of music reproduction in the home. Breath-taking is one description.
"Smitten" is the word Paul Messenger used in his hifi+ magazine review.
Every time, listeners and reviewers comment on the huge scale and power of the Classic, performance well beyond its physical size compared with really 'big' loudspeakers. Soundstage is massive and immersive, while bass is deep, clean and fast, providing the essential underpinning for large-scale performances, whether classical, electronic or rock.
The Classic is ideal for larger listening rooms but versions can be fine-tuned for smaller rooms to suit customer tastes and circumstances.
These extraordinary loudspeakers have been developed over the course of ten years, during which time they have earned many 'best sound at the show' comments from experienced reviewers.
It has been a labour of love for Rainer Weber, the designer who is not only a committed audiophile but also one of the world's leading acoustics experts, retained by the German automotive industry to design acoustic solutions for Mercedes Benz, BMW and VW/Audi.
Classic with the optional external crossover. Note the Spline Diffuser behind to control room reflections
The Classic has many unusual features, one of which is that they can be fine-tuned to individual tastes and room conditions. There are three custom woofers to choose from, so depending on the reverberation time of the listening room and listening preferences Kaiser will select a matching woofer, tune the port frequencies and the midrange passive radiator to optimise the sound.
From the partnership with Vertex AQ in the UK a key performance option is an upgraded internal crossover with Vertex's vibration-draining labyrinths and EMI/RFI shielding. Taken a stage further this crossover can be housed externally, away from the cabinet's internal energy, and built with the best Duelund capacitors and coils.
Visit the Kaiser Acoustics web site: Kawero! range
Kawero! characteristicsCommon to all three loudspeakers in the Kawero! range – Classic, Vivace and Chiara – are these features:
• A world-beating combination of designer Rainer Weber's acoustics and psycho-acoustics expertise with the production facilities and skills of the Kaiser Acoustics factory to produce three utterly different loudspeakers, but each precisely-targeted to excel in its niche
• Cabinets constructed from naturally-inert Tankwood, birch ply that is compressed under intense pressure to about half its original thickness and injected with resin to form a composite material with ideal acoustic energy absorbing properties, while having almost no sound signature of its own. Only a factory with the highly advanced CNC machines like those at Kaiser Acoustics can cut and form such complex cabinets in a material so hard that it blunts diamond tools.
• All models in the Kawero! range have a rear-firing passive driver, ie it has no electrical connection, that is acoustically-connected in a closed chamber to the bass/mid-range drive unit on the front. In this way the speakers are designed to 'couple' to the room in a controlled way to fill in the 'step response' most other speakers suffer as frequencies rise and cone radiating area falls, narrowing the sound field. The result is far more natural tonal colours or timbre of acoustic instruments and voices.
Vivace crossover built on Tankwood with Vertex AQ technology
• Vertex AQ vibration-draining and EMI/RFI technology can be specified for the Classic and Vivace crossovers and is built into the Chiara from the outset. This technology has proved itself over many years and with hundreds of customers to bring truly massive improvements to system performance, especially around the speaker/amplifier interface where damage to the signal from wide-band speaker-generated vibration can hobble even the most exotic systems.
• Customers can choose almost any finish they wish, whether in colour, veneer or level of sheen, to blend into domestic furnishings or to make a design statement.
Classic Features • Perfect step response, as the tweeter distance is adjustable forward and back, very important for sound stage portrayal
• Tweeter can be rotated to ensure consistent and uniform radiation
• 1st order all pass filter without any electrical components
• Perfect Power Response, due to baffle step equalisation, most speakers have a notch in the power response
• Kawero adds missing energy due to rear firing woofer and passive radiator
• Power response is very important for natural, satisfying tone colours or timbre
• All cone drivers are custom-modified units from AudioTechnology in Denmark, while the tweeter is the outstanding RAAL ribbon unit
• Choice of bass response characteristics, matched to the listening room and customers' preferences
• Target response developed with psychoacoustic science
• Blauert Band design for realistic height of voices
• Crossover point over λ/4 resonance ear – ear drum
• Haas precedence effect considered and implemented
Visit the Kaiser Acoustics web site: Kawero! range
Click the thumbnail images below to enlarge the pictures
from £40,784 according to finish